Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Who knew??

1.  My new painting book (Daily Painting by Carol Marine) says Murphy's Oil Soap will clean your paint brushes even if they've gone overnight or longer without your removing the paint from them.  Did I believe this?  Not really.  I've had this one cheap old 2" brush that's had old paint hardening the bristles for months.  Ms. Marine says to soak such a neglected brush overnight in Murphy's Oil Soap right out of the bottle.  Just the bristles, not the metal band above them.  So I did it.  Poured the MOS into an old plastic glass, stuck the brush into it up to the metal band, let it sit overnight, and

2.  BINGO!!  my pore old brush is now soft and flexible and paint free.  You have to rinse out the Murphy's Oil Soap, of course, and the old paint with it, but I wouldn't have believed this if I hadn't done it myself.

3.  This is not house paint--it's artist's oil paint. But even so.  What a happy discovery!! 
That's it for today.  But I had to share this with you.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. As the MOS was able to emulsify the oil paint, I'm surprised it didn't soften the plastic glass. Of course...depends upon what type of plastic, doesn't it? Good trick!
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it did do some etching in the bottom of the plastic glass. but it's not on my paint brush, so who cares??

    ReplyDelete