Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Think Old and Deaf.

1.  When people from the bank or the dentist call me and want me to call them back at a certain number or a certain time, I often tell them "think old and deaf".  In other words, don't talk SOOOO FAST.  (and yes, I have already requested that without much effect).  Sometimes I go so far as to say, "do you have a great grandmother?"  I'm assuming that their grandmothers are all at Zumba class or getting a PHD in Polish literature online. You may be or have a grandmother like that yourself.  Great grandmothers, however, often have slowed down a bit.  Especially if they are deaf and need your help to understand what the hey you are saying. 


2.  Why is there such a premium on SPEED in communications--like on the phone?   Does it cost more per second?  How about the relative cost of having to call someone back four or five times if
they don't get your message straight the first time?  Do-overs aren't free, are they?


3.   It doesn't help to talk to old deaf people LOUDER.  What rings our bell is speaking SLOWLY and DISTINCTLY. 

4.   Most of us started out hearing just as well or better than you.  But life intervened.  And now we're a little deef, y'know.  Take a deep breath.....

5.  "What?"  For Chrissakes, slowly and distinctly.....think "old and deaf."



5 comments:

  1. Oh, this does resonate. Most days, I tell my daughter that have not a clue what she has said and please slow down. Similar speed issue with writing online with the machine wanting to spell my word--or come up with better one. Hey, this is MY text!

    btw, discovered it takes two tries to post here. First one disappears--even when try to preview, nothing there. Second time, bloodspot finds comment acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hear you on the posting here. My previews ALL disappear. Sometimes they slip into the drafts file, and I can keep typing and get them out. I think it's the age of my machine (dear old keepsake apple!!) but ver veist?? I will see w.hat I can do. Apple, of course, won't do a doggone thing. hmph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the laugh (I'm laughing WITH you!) None of my grandparents/great-grandparents/great-great-grandmother had a hearing problem (nor does Hunky Husband or I). Hunky Husband gets upset because I speak too slowly for him (as did my mother get upset with my father - after whom I obviously take.)
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wrote a nice little movie post on your previous piece which disappeared without posting. I've had same problem on my Blogger er-r-r bloodspot blog trying to post a reply on comments left there. Just when I think I've resolved the problem I find I haven't.

    I'm not labelled "deef" but expect I have a certain amount of age-related hearing loss that most have but may not to the degree a hearing aid is required. That said, I really get annoyed with the fast-talkers as conveys a sense of urgency so doesn't feel good -- probably makes my blood pressure rise. Often they haven't articulated all the sounds well and/or have run the words together with inadequate pause length between words.

    ReplyDelete