Saturday, March 14, 2015

Soup.....

1.  I've been looking for a good recipe for cabbage soup.  Cabbage is still "only" 69c a pound here.  The recipe I found for the "best cabbage soup ever" had half a head of shredded cabbage and a pound and a half of ground beef + catsup, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar.  Sounds more like goulash.  I'm sure it's tasty, but not exactly soup. 

2.  I know...borscht!--the good old country recipe we had in ND.  It had beets, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, and possibly carrots.  Have given away all my old ND recipe books, but I can probably improvise.

3.  Soup!!  It's what's for breakfast!

7 comments:

  1. To me, no soup can be bad as long as it employs cabbage, tomatoes, and okra. Everything else is expendable.
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  2. OKRA?? There's a trick to keeping it from going slimey, right?? I know people who are devoted to okra, but I've never figured out why. You've raised okra's rating for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, okra is only "slimey" or "slimy" when raw. They Slimey slime thickens the soup stock (I use sliced okra - usually frozen.) I normally throw in some sort of seafood, or a combination thereof (fish, shrimp, oysters) and whatever veggies I have on hand or in the garden. I do not normally include grains or legumes of any kind. My "recipe" for Fish Stew (Someone Else's Gumbo) is on my blog (see the category "Cop Car's Chow" - with lots of scrolling down on that page.) While soup tastes much better to me with the okra, no law says you gotta use it!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I just noticed that my directions include, "To avoid stringiness, do not allow the stew to come to a boil when re-heating it." I doubt that such is true when following the recipe, as posted. I think it's left over from my Aunt V's recipe that included file gumbo (ground sassafras leaves?)
    CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This bears investigating!! The farmers markets here are loaded with okra,.
      and although none of my close friends cook with it, they all claim to love it--even the people from Africa.

      Delete
    2. I always thought that okra originated in Africa; but, I just looked it up and there seems to be some dispute on origins. "The exact origin of okra is unknown, but it is thought to have come from Africa, where it has been grown as a crop for centuries. Evidence suggests it was grown in Egypt as long ago as 2,000 BC." per the KEW Royal Botanical Gardens' website.
      CC

      Delete