Monday, March 9, 2015

So much for tidying up.....

1.  The place does look marginally better, but the WEATHER OUTSIDE has been calling for the past two days.  Temps in the 50s!!  Ice gone!!  Walking is possible and NOT exhausting (trying to stay upright).  Also, I shredded the tip of one finger on my right hand two days ago, and I can't do much
housework!  ha. 

2.  I remind myself that this is why I do not work in a professional capacity in a restaurant kitchen.  I'm always chopping myself.  Too much of MY blood flowing.  Although I do love to cook.  

3.  I was not cooking when the mishap occurred, however.  I stupidly poked at a fat envelope jammed
in my shredder.  The envelope hung in there, but my finger was sliced and diced.  Urk.  Luckily I  have just the right first aid materials to deal with this:  a new bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a couple of boxes of big woven fabric bandaids to keep the wound protected.

4.  And so it goes....The most recent New Yorker magazine had a "cartoon" showing a mail truck very much like the current USPS trucks, but the logo on the side read JUNK MAIL.  Hmph.  This is what
it's coming down to:  stuff to feed the shredders and cards for/from grandmothers.

3 comments:

  1. I shuddered reading your "sliced and diced". *more shuddering* I had to laugh about your balmy 50s reading versus Hattie's "Brrr!"-inducing 65 degrees. It's all in what you're accustomed to. As to hydrogen peroxide: I no longer use it. I read (online - so, you know it's true!) that it damages the cells of the wound more than it kills any germs.
    Hope your finger heals quickly and well. I like the bandage!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, oy...i love peroxide, and my finger has healed perfectly!! I got a(nother) new iPad Air yesterday, and it only serves to disturb me, so far. Last night in some "heaIth tips", I read that kale is bad for you cuz it has that oxalate stuff like rhubarb leaves, and that you can get kidney stones from it. Quel dommage! Somebody wants to scare us into eating more doritos and things like that. Anyway, once I figger out how to operate this iPad, I'll take a picture of my perfectly healed fingertip--nice little scab, no gaps or flaps, no pain. Also, I love that peroxide FOAMS when it hits open cuts. Doesn't sting, doesn't stain. A nice big floppy fabric (not plastic) bandage keeps in the foam and keeps out the bugs, lets in plenty of air!! My previous favorite antiseptic was mercurochrome, and of course, that was too effective, too. Mercury! I remember playing with mercury as a kid. Learned a lot about how things work. Not how iPads work, though.

      Re temperatures, weather, etc. 50s can feel chilly, but after our mixed-up late winter, it's blissfully warm--ask
      my son, who walks the 2 miles to work in Iowa in below zero temps (not even counting wind chill). He loves the recent 50s!!

      Delete
    2. Also, just wondering...wot do those scientists think the BACTERIA will do to the cells of the wound?? I'm going after the bacteria...less pain!!

      Delete