Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Fun with Relatives, Part 2

1.  After Birchbark Books, my next request was to go to the American Swedish Institute (ASI), over on Park Avenue and 26th St.  The glorious old Turnblad Mansion, which housed the ASI back in the day when I lived in Minneapolis, has acquired a modern addition.  This cultural center houses the FIKA cafe (offering, according to some), "the best lunch in Minneapolis,"* the ASI gift shop with its Swedish and other Nordic design treasures, and various other rooms for meetings and classes.
*not counting Kramarczuk's?

What I learned from the current Nobel exhibit is that SWEDEN awards Nobel Prizes for Chemistry, Economics, History, Literature, Medicine, and Physics.  NORWAY awards only the Peace Prize. 

2.  Next we stopped at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design (MCAD), which is close to the
Minneapolis Art Institute (MAI). I took a "Saturday Studio" class from MCAD some 45 years ago, and I still have my second painting:  my son sitting on one of our dining room chairs at the age of 3.  He was naked when I painted the picture, but after we moved to Iowa and the neighborhood kids snickered, I painted some britches on him.












 More to come......stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment