Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Verbum Sap 3

My friend Mary Lou gave me this motto that she got from the Self-Esteem group at St. Vincent's:
"I correctly take myself into consideration first in all matters."

I asked her what her take was on panhandlers, as I wrestle with this all the time.....She does not fork
over her money.  She said "We are very different in this, Mary Ellen.  I have savings and take care of
myself first."  ok ok.  I get it.  It's hard for me to pass beggars on the street, and there are MANY here in DC.  Mary Lou lives in Soho, NYC, and as you might imagine, there are ample opportunities in that area for her to give away her funds to needy people, also.  But she does not.  And I honor her attitude.  $aving$.  Mary Lou does not have a toilet in her apartment--it's down the hall, and the bathtub is in the kitchen--but she has savings!! and volunteers her time in many ways--something I haven't done in years.  Learning something new and valuable every single day, here.  My dear therapist Jackie used to say "we have to get you over your vow of poverty."  ha.  Yas'm.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment